Written by The Friends of Caversham Court Gardens this guide covers the history of all the houses built on the riverside site, starting with a 12th century rectory. This was replaced by a Tudor house, and this in turn was remodelled in the Victorian era. The site was bought by Reading Borough Council in the 1930s and the last house was demolished in 1933. In 2004 with Heritage lottery funding the council was able to reconstruct the site, restoring the footprints of the houses and the buildings remaining on the site. The richly illustrated guide covers the history of the houses that stood on the site, the families who lived there and the development of the gardens through the ages.
Sir Richard Morison (c.1513-1556) is best known as Henry VIII's most prolific propagandist. Yet he was also an accomplished scholar, politician, theologian and diplomat who was linked to the leading political and religious figures of his day. Despite his prominence, Morison has never received a full historical treatment.
A lesson about the most important things in life.
Forster Gardens Articles
Forster Gardens Books